Car accidents are frightening experiences. If you’re lucky, you might walk away shaken but unharmed. Unfortunately, crashes often result in some of the most serious injuries, including traumatic brain injury (TBI).
A car crash is the most common cause of a brain injury for young adults, according to MedlinePlus. How do you know if you sustained a TBI? In some cases, victims in accidents might not immediately realize they have a brain injury. Symptoms can appear hours or even days later.
A recent article in EDM Chicago explores different types of brain injuries and signs that reveal you or a loved one might have suffered a TBI.
What is a traumatic brain injury?
A blow to the head might result in a traumatic brain injury. In a car crash, a driver or passenger might hit their head against a hard object. The sudden blow to the head may cause the soft tissue in the head to strike the skull, leading to bruising or bleeding. A brain injury can range from mild to life-threatening. Be aware that even mild TBIs can lead to long-term damage.
The primary types of brain injuries include:
- Concussion: A sudden movement of the brain by a blow to the head can lead to a concussion, which can lead to headaches, problems with concentrating or remembering, and difficulty balancing or maintaining coordination.
- Hematoma: This is a buildup of blood on the surface of the brain due to the rupture of a blood vessel.
- Contusion: A contusion is another word for a bruise. A contusion involves swelling in the brain tissue in the area where the head was struck.
- Traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage (TSAH): This type of TBI involves bleeding into the space between the surface of the brain and one of the coverings of the brain.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI): This type of injury involves tearing of the brain’s connecting nerve fibers.
What are the signs of a TBI?
Some signs are easy to identify, but others are more challenging. Because TBIs can be difficult to identify, seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident, even if you think you’re fine.
The following are some of the main signs of a TBI:
- Difficulty in controlling emotions
- Communication problems
- Problems with short-term memory
- Chronic headaches
How a West Virginia attorney can help
A brain injury can have a significant impact on your quality of life. You may have to give up a career. A TBI can harm your relationship with loved ones. These serious injuries also can be very expensive. In addition to the loss of income, you may face the costs related to a lifetime of medical treatment and rehabilitation.
You have rights under the law to seek compensation when someone else was negligent. Unfortunately, insurance companies may try to downplay the serious nature of the injury.
Don’t try to deal with the insurance company on your own after an accident. Anything you say can be used against you and reduce your compensation. Let an experienced car accident attorney work on your behalf. At Klie Law Offices in West Virginia, we put experience and resources to work for clients who are facing some of the most serious injuries after accidents. Contact our firm today for a free consultation.